approx 4 servings
- 1 Cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 450ml milk
- 115g Derg Cheddar Cheese, finely grated
- Nutmeg for grating
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the cauliflower in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes. It should still be firm. Drain, place in a hot 1.4 litre gratin dish and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the rinsed-out saucepan over a medium heat and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat the stir in the milk gradually until you have a smooth consistency.
- Return to a low heat and continue to stir while the sauce comes to the boil and thickens. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes until the sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Derg Cheddar cheese and good grating of the nutmeg. Taste and season well with salt & pepper.
- Pour the hot sauce over the cauliflower, top with the parmesan and place under a hot grill to brown.
Using a mixture of cauliflower & broccoli will give a more colourful dish. You can make it even more substantial by adding some fried sliced onions and fried bacon pieces before pouring over the sauce.