6 to 8 large scones servings
- 340g (12 oz) self raising flour
- 60g (2 oz) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 200g (7 oz) Derg Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / 200 C fan / Gas 7. Grease a baking tray.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Next add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients and mix between your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs then add the Derg Cheddar cheese, reserving a little for later, and mix well.
- In a separate jug add the milk, eggs and mustard and mix until smooth then add to the flour mixture but leave a little of the wet mixture to brush the top of the scones.
- Mix until the ingredients are blended into a dough, press and shape the dough (see tip) then cut the scones out with a biscuit cutter. Transfer the scones to the baking tray then brush the top of each scone with the leftover egg, milk and mustard mixture and sprinkle some cheese on the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm, or allow to cool before serving.
If you wish you can leave out the mustard, the scones will taste lovely without it or put a little in at a time until you have the scones to your taste.
You don't have to use a rolling pin, you can press and mould the mixture with your hands and then use the cutter.